Thanks again to Trader Joes for inspiring me to make something far more delicious and nutritious than the microwave version I saw in the store! I couldn’t get the idea of a butternut and spinach gratin out of my head as soon as I saw it at TJs. I had to make it. And I’m SOOO glad I did! It’s warm, sweet, savory and cheesy. So basically it hits all the main taste groups except spicy! It’s even good for you. This would make a great new thanksgiving side dish, or a vegetarian main course. I was happy with it tonight served with a left over turkey burger!
Butternut, Spinach and Kale Gratin
- 2 lb. Butternut Squash, Peeled and sliced into 1/2″ thick pieces (the longer the piece the better)
- 1 1/2 16 oz package of frozen spinach or kale (or combination of both)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder to taste
- Peel and slice the squash into thick long pieces as best you can. It’s hard but just try to make sure they are all about the same thickness.
- Defrost Spinach or Kale and squeeze out all the water. Squeeze out as much as you can!
- Sautee greens in olive oil until the water cooks out and it starts to stick. I used my dutch oven to minimize dish washing! Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Mix in 1/2 of the parmesan cheese and stir
- Set aside 1/2 of the greens. Smush the remaining half down in the bottom of the dutch oven so it is flat (or oven proof casserole dish if you don’t have a stove/oven safe pan).
- Layer 1/2 of the squash on top, arranging so there is an even layer on top of the spinach. It’s like a puzzle!
- Cover squash with remaining spinach and flatten.
- Make a top layer of the rest of the squash, as flat as you can. Pour chicken broth evenly all over the top.
- Cover with remaining parmesan and breadcrumbs. Spray with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Bake at 425, covered for 40 minutes or until squash is easily pierced with a knife. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes until top is browned, bubbly and golden!